- Direction. The direction of data movement. Egress shows outbound data, and Ingress shows inbound data.
- if your application needs to store more than 150GB of data, or if your database can benefit from a multithreaded data access layer, you need to consider splitting your data across multiple databases through a form of partitioning called a shard.
Programming with SQL Database
- On Premises Application means your application is hosted locally and not in Windows Azure, but your database is in a SQL Database instance. This option comes with the limit that you can use .Net Framework 3.1 or above … System.Data.SqlClient or later.
Entity Framework 3.5 sp1 or later
SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client ODBC driver or later
- If the application uses OLE DB, then you have to change it to use one of the client libraries listed above.
- Azure-Hosted Application provides benefit with minimizing network latency of requests to the SQL database instance. As long as your Windows Azure and SQL Database are in the same subregion, bandwidth usage
between SQL Database and Windows Azure is free.
- You must consider many things, including the following:
• SQL Database is only available via TCP port 1433.
• SQL Database doesn’t currently support OLE DB.
• SQL Database only supports SQL Server authentication. Windows Authentication isn’t
• When connecting to SQL Database, you must specify the target database in the connection
string. Otherwise, you’re connecting to the master database.
• Distributed transactions (transactions that affect multiple resources, such as tables, or
different databases via sharding) aren’t supported in SQL Database.
• You must ensure that your SQL Database firewall is configured to accept connections.
• You must determine whether an • y embedded (in-line) T-SQL in your application is supported
by SQL Database.
• You must use the login name format <login>@<server> when connecting to SQL Database,
because some tools implement Tabular Data Stream (TDS) differently.
- SQL Database tables without a clustered index aren’t supported.
SQL Data Sync
SQL Data Sync provides bidirectional synchronization between two or more databases. On the surface, it is as simple as that; but even behind the scenes, it does not get much more complicated.